Thursday, June 27, 2013

AUDITION HELL PART 1: Dissed by Paul Gemignani

I know this blog is a bit schizo when it comes to content.  I mean, where else can you read about my family vacation to Sicily and then click on a review for the off-Broadway production of Far From Heaven?  But since theatre did consume my life for the better part of a decade, it seems appropriate to share some of my most soul-crushing audition stories for your enjoyment and ridicule in a new series of posts.  Everyone loves a little schadenfreude, right?  So here goes...

1 > 2

Dissed by Paul Gemignani

To say I was overjoyed when Roundabout announced it was producing the first Broadway revival of Sondheim's groundbreaking musical, Pacific Overtures, would be an understatement.  The show seemed a perfect fit for me, especially in the post-Miss Saigon era of ethnically correct casting.  They'd need a large ensemble of excellent Asian singing actors.  In other words, they needed ME.

I jumped through the required ECC hoops and was thrilled to get a callback.  Since I assumed most people would be singing serious, dramatic material, I decided to try a different approach by choosing Gershwin's "They All Laughed" because like Sondheim, it's lyric-heavy but it's also light and shows personality.

I arrived at Ripley-Grier and headed to the assigned audition studio.  Upon arriving I learned that the great one himself, Paul Gemignani, was in the room.  Yes, the legendary Sondheim collaborator and musical director of some of Broadway's greatest musicals (Follies, Sweeney Todd, A Little Night Music, Evita, Crazy For You, Into the Woods, Merrily..., Sundy in the Park... et al -- not to mention the original Broadway production of Pacific Overtures) was behind that closed door and waiting to discover me.

Though nervous, I pulled my shit together enough to give what a thought was a pretty solid audition.  I thanked the panel and went to collect my book from the accompanist.  But Mr. Gemignani stopped me and (gasp) asked me to sing something else.

Holy shit!  Paul Gemignani asked me for another song.  Might as well hand me that kimono and white pancake make-up right now, because this fucker is mine.

I honestly can't remember what a chose as a second song.  I've probably blocked it out because of the traumatic memories it conjures up.  What I do remember is starting that second song brimming with confidence and energy.  Then about fifteen seconds into it I noticed Mr. Gemignani waving his hand, signaling for me to stop singing.

OK, whatever.  He was likely so dazzled by my vocal brilliance that he'll probably offer me a contract on the spot, right?

Wrong.  Without looking up from the sheet he was scribbling on, the great Paul Gemignani said, "Thank you, but you should have quit while you were ahead."

More sad tales of failure to come!!!

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"