Friday, December 12, 2008

Hairspray (#3)

Harvey and Marissa are f*ckin’ amazing together. I didn’t see Marissa the first two times I saw the show years ago and I always thought she sounded annoying on the cast recording so I was pleasantly surprised by how wonderful she is in the role. For my taste, her vocals are still a bit nasal and pinched, but it really didn’t make a difference since she was just so likeable. As for people complaining that she’s too old, must be sour grapes, because she didn’t read any older than her jailbait co-star, Constantine Rousouli. I must also admit that when I first laid eyes on the handsome young Constantine in the first scene, my first thought was, “He’s way too attractive to have any singing ability.” (God, have I really gotten that jaded?!) But thankfully, I was again proven wrong.

Even though Marissa appeared to be sick - she was carrying some major dark baggage under the eyes - her performance didn’t seem to be affected. In fact, she seemed almost unnaturally energetic and enthusiastic. It was like like Tracy Turnblad on coke - in a good way, of course.
The show is in great shape. The ensemble was extremely tight and precise, Trish and I both noticed cast members eyeing their numbers on stage. No signs of long-run-itis here. Harvey seemed completely at ease and natural. He was fully invested and committed to every moment onstage without resorting to mugging or pushing punch lines as he’s has been known to do.

There’s also a natural chemistry between Harvey and Marissa that I didn’t notice between other pairings. Both actors seemed to have a genuinely wonderful time onstage. Although (disappointingly), the entire rear mezzanine was empty the night I attended, the audience’s reactions were out of control and it was like a rock concert, with Harvey receiving an extended entrance applause and the audience erupting into cheers throughout. It’s closing in January, so check it out before it’s gone.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"