Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Impressionism 3/7

Well, it’s been over three weeks since I saw this one, but I have been just a tad busy (see multiple posts below). However, in the wake of today’s awful reviews, I thought I’d just throw in my two cents. Yes, the reviews have been unanimously bad - I think one called it a “pretentious bore.” Ouch. I consider myself a pretty tough critic, but I think these reviews are way too harsh. I’m not saying it’s Shakespeare, but the play has it’s moments. I mean, any work that moves me almost to tears can’t be all that bad. And before you even say it, yes, I cry at just about any scene in any play or movie involving death or marriage, but even Trish got wet-eyed at the plays final moments.

To be fair, we saw it in early previews. At that time, both Trish and I thought the first act was way too long and rambling and needed some judicious editing. Fast forward a week later, the producers announce they are moving the opening date back by one week and that they are cutting the play down to a 90-minute one act. We definitely should become show doctors.

What really prompted us to check out the play are its two leads, Jeremy Irons and Joan Allen (with the added bonus of hottie Michael T. Weiss). Though I love Allen on the big screen, she seemed a bit one-note and well, really loud. I mean, it was great that she projected into that big house, but after a while it seemed she only had one volume setting. She definitely had some lovely moments, but the plays convention of the two leads playing multiple characters didn’t really work. Her characters were so similar that it was almost distracting and somewhat confusing. Jeremy Irons is an acting God. He was natural and quirky and always interesting. And despite the horrendous reviews, I think the last half hour of the play is pretty damn good; especially the last scene in which all the characters discuss the meaning of one of the paintings in the shop.

I’m sure the reviews will doom this play to an early closing, but I don’t know if it deserves the venom that it seems to be inspiring. Perhaps I was in a forgiving mood the night we saw it? Oh well, it was totally worth it to see these stage and screen veterans on live. Maybe I’m getting soft in my old age.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"