Monday, April 25, 2011

Le Comte Ory and burgers

Metropolitan Opera
Thursday, April 19
8pm perfermance

This is probably a dream cast for opera lovers.  Seriously, without another historical resurrection, Juan Diego Florez, Diana Damrau and Joyce DiDonato are as good as it gets.  As an added bonus, all three can actually (insert audible gasp here) act.   Unfortunately, the opera itself is sort of a mess. 

Bartlett Sher’s created and directed a stylish production and Catherine Zuber’s costumes show off some dazzling cleavage, but the story hobbles along in fits and starts due to an incredibly convoluted plot (even by opera standards).  When the lead trio of hams - in a good way - get to show off their coloratura and their comedic chops, the show whizzes along.  Otherwise, it’s slow going.  Though I never dozed off, I did find myself on more than one occasion drifting to thoughts of post-performance meal options.  But soon enough, I’d get slapped back to attention by an effortless high C or some other vocal feat.

The first act trio and ensemble that introduces us to Damrau’s character is the performance highlight, with all three singing actors at their best.  I truly suspect when this enters the rep with singers of less comparable acting skills, the opera will be a deadly, but pretty, bore.

My only “WTF” moment was the bed scene at the end of act two where Damrau and DiDonato (as a man) pull the old Cyrano trick, except with full body contact.  I understand the difficulty in staging this scene and yes, we’re expected to suspend our disbelief, but Ory is one horny bastard if he’s so turned on that he can’t figure out he’s in bed with two people, one of whom also has penis.  I mean, imagine if a counter tenor played the pants role?  That would be some truly non-traditional staging for the conservative Met.  Though my guess is that Florez would not be so open to a bout of tonsil hockey or dry humping from a dude, even for the sake of comedy.

The other highlight of the evening was the Cadillac burger at P.J. Clarke’s following the performance.  I only had a bite from Trish’s burger, but is was delish. 

I can’t wait to catch part two of the Met’s Die Walküre next month.  I’m still kicking myself for forgetting about my ticket to the sold out first part, Das Rheingold, last month.  Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid (picture me slapping myself on the forehead with the open palm of my hand).

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"