Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Kennedy Center honors

I am a blogging fool this week!  Enjoy this literary bounty while you can because soon enough, I'll actually have to work while I'm at the office.  Although it is a pleasure sitting in silence and not having bankers hurl unreasonable requests at you, after about five hours of web-surfing even I begin to suffer net-fatigue.  Still, I'm grateful for this once yearly lull in the usually tumultuous world of investment banking. 

The televised Kennedy Center Honors last night provided a welcome jolt of surprises and what-the-f*ck moments to elevate an otherwise predictable broadcasting week brimming with reruns and Holiday retreads.  Oddly, I think Oprah's segment was the most entertaining and thoughtful of the bunch.  J-Hud kicked some major ass with her rendition of "I'm Here" from The Color Purple



And damn, that tape worm - and by tape worm I mean Weight Watchers - is working wonders for her figure. 

The segment honoring Jerry Herman was just plain embarrassing.  Is it any wonder the red state folks cling to the cheesy musical theatre stereotype?  How are we going to get new audiences into the theatre when all they see is over-processed cheese?  I love me some Chita and Carol, but it seems this segment was produced by some big old queen finally working out his Broadway boner on National TV.  Instead of all those performers presenting 10 second snippets of songs that just don't work out of context, why not have 2 or 3 full-song performances?  I'll admit, I'm not the biggest Herman fan, but at least a full song would better illustrate his songwriting craft.  And what was with that male ensemble?  Can you say "over-choreographed?"  It was like they were on crack.  They never stopped moving and the choreography never matched the tone of the songs or acknowledged the lyric.  Sometimes more is just more.  Props to Chita, though, who's still got it at 77.  And Matthew Morrison, please smile!  "It's Today" is supposed to be a joyful and happy celebration of life.  He was more like a Mama Rose telling us to enjoy his number --- or else.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"