Thursday, February 14, 2008

She waited three years? Really?

So I’m starting to change my mind about Madama Butterfly. I’ve always thought of it as kind of boring and frankly kind of stupid. I understand the whole “anything for love” idea, but after three years of not hearing from a guy, you’re just ridiculously naïve or just plain dense to believe this guy’s coming back for you. Yes, I know, she’s fifteen and he was probably one of the first men she’s slept with, but she’s a geisha for God’s sake! I know that’s not the same thing as a prostitute, but still. Maybe if she was isolated on an island or lived like a hermit on some mountain I could believe in her unwavering faith. But she lives in Nagasaki, a major city, and has easy access to the Consul who I’m sure she’s pressured on more than one occasion for the whereabouts of her deadbeat husband.

Kam (Butterfly), Jessica (Suzuki) and I have decided to play the religion card. Since Butterfly is basically an outcast and shunned by her family and friends, the only recourse she has now is faith, and that faith will be exemplified by her devotion to Christianity. I think this choice makes her unwavering belief in the sanctity of her union with Pinkerton much stronger. Modern audiences can easily relate to her religious zeal, which is actually just a substitute for the lack of real emotional support from family and friends.

I don't mean to pat myself on the back, but every production I've ever watched live or on DVD has basically just glossed over any type of explanation for why Butterfly would wait so long for this guy. The audience is just asked to accept this plot point simply because it is accompanied by beautiful music. So I've decided to open the second act with Suzuki praying to Buddha and Butterfly praying to God. For me, this explains her seemingly inexplicable behavior and raises the stakes for Butterfly until she has no choice but to believe that God has forsaken her. Her suicide is a combination of grief over her lost love, the renouncing of her adopted religion and an apology to her family, ancestors and country for forsaking them for the false love of a man. Now that's some deep sh*t yo!

I think Both Kam and Jessica are really investing in this concept and the relationship they are starting to develop is really quite beautiful. Of course, this was an added rehearsal so we didn't feel the pressure of time constraints. I have a feeling as the performance dates get closer, the relaxed, casual ease that marked tonight's rehearsal will collapse into full-fledged panic. I'm staying optimistic though. We have the makings of a first rate production and I don't want to jinx it.

On a side note, Trish has been spending hours scouring the basement of Pearl River (if you've never been, make a visit, it's like an Asian Target) to find just the right Asian props for the show. We've also been getting a steady stream of fake hair in the mail. Good times.

5 comments:

Gerry said...

Have you read 'Memoirs of a Geisha' yet?

Fausto said...

Not yet, too lazy, LOL. Does the movie stay close to the book?

TrishDelish said...

i've read the book. woot woot!

TrishDelish said...

PS: You tods missed another hair shipment in the mail. I can't wait til you see it tomorrow. Scratch that--I can't wait til you try it on tomorrow!

Gerry said...

Yeah, the movie stays close. Of course, the book explains a lot more and has a more realistic ending.

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"