Thursday, February 28, 2008

"I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so"

I'm appalled to admit that I'm old enough to remember that silly Vapors song from the 80's (although I was in diapers, hehe - not). But yesterday's trek to Pearl River (my only night off this week and next) for Madama Butterfly props sent that idiotic, yet unforgettable refrain buzzing through my head. Weren't the early 80's a freaky time for pop music? - Funky Town, Call Me, Fame, The Rose - all so cheesy and awesome and pre-MTV!! God, I'm old. Anyway, if you've never visited Pearl River, it's this crazy store downtown that sells just about anything remotely associated with Asian (mainly Chinese) culture and arts. It's proven to be our "go to" spot for props and small set pieces. I can literally waste hours just wandering around the store because they have aisles and aisles of the coolest, random sh*t. I mean, how many different styles and colors of paper lanterns do you really need, anyway? Looking for a Buddha statue (they have a wall of them), origami paper, a Saki set, bamboo poles, weird herbs, blinds or strawberry Pocky? And everything is cheap, cheap, cheap! If you need to furnish your apartment on a budget without it looking like page 107 in the IKEA catalog, check it out.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"