Monday, February 11, 2008

I Miss My Weekends...

So another crazy weekend of rehearsals, auditions and random crap. Friday night - three hours of Madama Butterfly rehearsal, Saturday - was a live dress form for Val's kimono pattern and watched DVD's of old MB performances ad nauseum, Sunday - three more hours of MB rehearsal followed by four hours of auditions for our summer theatre program. A weekend in the country, this was not. Looking at my worn wall calendar (I'm old school, I actually write down my schedule - yes, with one of those long, skinny yellow things filled with lead - on a huge wall calendar in the kitchen), it appears I won't have a free weekend until May! Good Lord, May! So much for taking a break from the "business."

The good news is that MB is shaping up to be quite a spectacular production. Everyone in the cast has a huge voice and that little theatre is going to get it's roof blown off. I still can't believe that the theatre's regular tenant, CDC, uses mic's for all their shows. I can understand using mic’s for rock shows or for shows with more modern orchestrations, but we had a twenty piece orchestra for Fledermaus and there was no problem hearing any of those singers. Oh well, I guess the days of unamplified singing in musical theatre are over.

Auditions for the summer are crazy! It's obvious that high school students are way better trained than I was at that age. Either that, or I was the only geek interested in musical theatre, because I don't remember talent like this in high school. Unfortunately, Cameron Mackintosh may screw our program over and not give us the rights to Les Mis school addition for the summer. I guess a bunch of high school kids 80 miles away in Cranford, NJ are a major threat to ticket sales of a proposed National Tour sit-down in Philadelphia. We should be so lucky.

Anyway, I think the highlight of the whole weekend was running out to White Castle late Sunday night and purchasing the 30-burger case with fries, onion rings and shakes. They sure tasted good going down, but were considerably less pleasant on the way out this morning. I think I definitely need to get my fat a** down to the gym again. I think I'm going on 18 months sans workout! Pretty sad for someone who used to be a gym rat. Oh well, six-pack abs are highly overrated.

1 comment:

TrishDelish said...

weekends? what is this mysterious "weekends" you speak of?

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"