Saturday, March 30, 2013

Orchid Overload and Horny Old People

I've heard people complain that they can no longer sleep past 9 or 10 in the morning because their bodies have been trained from years of habit.  Happily, I have no such issue.  If I have nowhere to be, I can easily hibernate through lunch hour and beyond – which is exactly what I did following a late night at the circus.

But pizza trumps sleep, so after a lazy morning waiting for Trish and mom to return from a morning of beauty, I finally burrowed my way out from under my flannel sheets to join Trish and the ‘rents for lunch.

Though a day in my jammies sounds heavenly, I grudgingly got dressed for our afternoon trip to the Bronx for The Orchid Show at New York Botanical Gardens.

Thank you, Goldstar, for the discounted tickets. 

Mom and dad strike a pose in front of the Haupt Conservatory.

This is my "Memoirs of a Geisha" moment.  I'm pretty, mama!

Not to be outdone, Trish flashes her pearly whites.

Orchids, obviously.

Mom and Trish sporting their new 'dos and freshly threaded brows.

Mom and dad have a romantic moment in front of the orchid pond.

Cool looking orchid.

More orchids!

Even more orchids!

With our allergies on full "red alert" mode, Trish and I can no longer breathe the pollen-poisoned air of the conservatory and head outside to the sculpture garden where we plant a good-bye kiss on this faceless silver giantess' cheeks.

After our orchid expedition, we headed to Jersey for a lazy evening of relaxation before Sunday's Resurrection festivities (doesn't quite have the same ring as "Easter," does it?).  Taking a cue from our trailer park brethren, we decided to forego a fancy pre-Easter dinner and opted instead for a white trash meal of frozen tater tots and chicken nuggets.  You can always count on the Pinedas to inject any holiday with class and panache.

With the rest of the family heading to bed to rest up for early church services in the morning, Trish, mom and I decided to stay up for a late night viewing of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  It's basically Beverly Hills 90210 with old horny English people.  I don't know about you, but living out your twilight years in a dirty hotel with questionable plumbing in a third world country where enjoying a nice juicy, rare steak is sacrilege doesn't sound all that wonderful to me.  

Easter fun continues...

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"