Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'd go "straight" for Audra McDonald...

Well, as long as she'd agree to an open relationship.  There are certain lines even I won't cross.  And I've crossed many - don't ask.

As expected, Ms. McDonald looked and sounded glorious at her Carnegie Hall recital Saturday night, a coming home of sorts after abandoning the East Coast for TV land.  I forgive her.  Although I would have at least be-dazzled that shoulder strap or added a big, shiny necklace to that gown.  But I'm being petty, which is what we gays do best.

Backed by a chamber orchestra and jazz trio, she performed for nearly two intermissionless hours, casually bantering between numbers and making the huge auditorium feel cozy and intimate.

She stirred the crowd into a frenzy by opening with "I Happen to Like New York", had us nodding in knowing laughter with selections from "Craigslistlieder" (and me hoping I wouldn't be assaulted by one of my own ads) and stiffling back tears with the 9/11-themed "I'll Be Here" from Adam Gwon's new musical, Ordinary Days

Audra should run for president of the world.  Why?  Her audience was the most diverse group I've seen anywhere - gay/straight, black/white, old/young, hip/conservative.  She could unite the world through showtunes (that might possibly be the gayest sentence I've ever typed).

I haven't been to Carnegie Hall in years and though the steep rake is wonderful for sightlines, those steps into the balcony are crazy tall.  There should at least be a warning at the top of the stairs.  I almost fell forward and rolled right down off the balcony.  I can just picture it raining little old ladies in the orchestra section.

Luckily, I'll be able to fuel my Audra obsession at least through next year with her Broadway return in Porgy and Bess this winter and at her NJPAC concert on April 20.  Buy your tickets now!

I've linked to the NY Times review which goes into more detail about her set list. 

Carnegie Hall
Saturday, October 22
8pm performance

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"