Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jesus! Part 3

Link to Part 2

Since it’s already halfway through January and most of the 2008 Holiday Season is now just a food-coma-induced blur (although I can report that our sad little tropical blackberry-themed wreath - don’t ask - is still hanging from the apartment door), I guess I’ll just run down the Christmas/New Year highlights.

So after being stranded in a stream of urine on route 22 until 3am Christmas morn, we finally made it back to Juan and Val’s to finish wrapping the presents we were just going to rip open in a few hours. The Pineda’s run their lives just as they do many of their rehearsals, unplanned and last minute. After the crazy night of church gigs and traffic, we finally arose close to noon, a record for the family. Mom is usually up by 8am to let us know that Santa has arrived, but even she was wiped out by the previous evening’s activities.

We did the normal “eat-until-it-blows-out-of-both-ends” all day. And I’m proud to report that I didn’t change clothes until after I was forced to get on the bus late Christmas night. Considering we agreed to do cheap gifts this year, I made out pretty well with the requisite sweaters, shirts, cash and (insert excited squeal here) a mini deep fryer! Yes, now I will be able to experiment battering and frying all sorts of nasty items in the privacy of my own kitchen.

As for New Years, well, I slept for most of it. Even though I was invited to several soirees, I decided to just stay at home in my sweats and greet the New Year with Kathy and Anderson on CNN. Trish’s old roomie from Richmond, Billy, brought over his new boyfriend and we sat around eating mini-weenies and chips and drinking. Old man that I am, I ended up taking a nap around 10pm waking up just in time for the ball to drop. Naturally, 20 minutes later I was in bed. But I did get up a couple hours later for a New Year’s booty call. But alas, you will not get any details about that until I’m dead and publish my tell-all biography.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"