Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Wedding Singer

The problem with having siblings who perform is that you always end up being the sideshow at any family event. I don't mind singing at the occasional wedding but sometimes things get a bit out of hand. Case in point, the reception "show" for the upcoming parents' 40th. Aside from already preparing a mini-recital for the actual mass, we have also been ordered to prepare a personalized skit a la "This is Your Life" for the reception. I know mom said that it didn't have to be "big," but for those of you who know my mom you are well aware that she only does "big." Subtle is not in her vocabulary. Therefore, besides trying to make the show relate to the milestones in their lives it must also have clever dialogue, include many songs with staging and choreography and be uproariously funny. On top of that we also have to compete with the recent memory of another reception "show" we put on several years back for our Uncle's anniversary. Right now it's basically a big cheese-fest with lots of crazy songs from the 70's and some other random pop music. Did I mention we have been asked (read: ordered) to include "Love Is Many Splendoured Thing"? I'm warning the lactose intolerant to head for the bar when the show starts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

who's making her butterfly dress?

Fausto said...

Are you volunteering?

Unknown said...

I can buy her a butterfly dress... I couldn't make a dress to save my life.

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"