Monday, November 19, 2007

Fleming on the Floor

So I went to see Renee Fleming in the Met's Traviata last night (11/15) hoping in the back of my mind I would witness one of those once-in-a-lifetime train wrecks that gets passed down into opera legend. I was somewhat disappointed. Now I don't like to wish ill upon anybody, especially since I'm a performer myself, but it's the undeniable draw of schadenfreude that sometimes gets the better of me. I don't know exactly what kind of crash and burn I was expecting, never having heard her live except for those ridiculous TV specials where she seems to be singing in a foreign language but then you discover, after recognizing a single word, that she's actually singing in English ("Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - anybody?).

Definitely a pretty voice, but seemed as though she was marking at times. High notes seemed to be no struggle, although there were definite "catches" in sustained notes that I wouldn't necessarily categorize as cracking, just minor "interruptions." She did some odd pre-note bleats that some may consider dramatic. I prefer a clean entrance. Yes, her sound is gorgeous, but her diction, as always, was lacking. The young lady next to me, a professed opera-going novice who didn't know RF from a whole in the wall turned to me at first intermission and commented, "Is it just me, or is her diction muffled like saran wrap was covering her mouth?" I had to agree with her.

As far as acting, she was alright. Sometimes a bit over the top for my money, but always entertaining. A few moments almost triggered an unintentional chuckle and she seemed to be channeling Lucia at times with some of her schizophrenic choices (I'll cite the crazy, "my ears are bleeding" reaction upon hearing Alfredo's singing outside during her first aria, complete with hyperextended splayed fingers pressed against said bleeding ears). I understand it's a big house but if it seemed over the top from the cheap seats you need to turn it down a notch. But I guess I prefer over-the-top to park-and-bark. One quite dramatic moment that I did enjoy was the end of Addio del passato where she ended laying nearly face down on the floor. Worked for me, although I think she may have been a bit too free with rubato.

On a purely superficial level, from my nosebleed seat RF looked as though she's been hitting the treadmill or at least been cutting down on late night slices at Ray's. She did look beautiful.

As far as the rest, I enjoyed Polenzani's solid performance both acting and singing. Dwayne Croft's Di Provenza was a highlight (and I usually nap during bass/baritone arias - no offense, just not my favorite). The chorus was solid, although small sounding, but quite lively and ribald during the first act. Oh, which reminds me of the quite passionate face-sucking between Alfredo and Violetta that caught me by surprise in the first act. Definitely worked for me. I also enjoyed Armiliato's brisk tempi throughout which made the first act literally fly by - in a good way. Random thought - does the gypsy/toreador section ever come off as anything but superfluous? I really think you could cut both numbers. Am I missing some important symbolism there? Although it is worth it just to see that gorgeous front drop.

Definitely worth the ticket price since with RF's record, she probably will not return to this role again anytime soon, if ever. Looking forward now to seeing Damrau's (second) farewell to the Queen of the Night next week. Time for a snack.

1 comment:

TrishDelish said...

That crazy diva! The face-sucking was one of my favorite parts as well. But I think you forgot to mention the dramatic money confetti downpour accented by RF's plummet to the floor in full formal ball regalia. O dio!!!

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"