Monday, November 26, 2007

Sugar High

Hallelujah! The fake wedding cake has been completed and it looks pretty darned good if I do say so myself. Stay tuned for photos as I will wait until it's at its final home in Richmond before taking any glamour shots. Turns out that the actual decorating wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, it was just extremely tedious; like trying to fold 20 loads of laundry in one sitting except without the same satisfaction that comes with knowing you'll be able to slip on a clean, spring-fresh scented t-shirt when you're done. Instead, you only get to stare at it and imagine what it would have tasted like had it not been made of styrofoam and spackle. I think I worked on it for at least 5 or 6 hours. Most of that time was spent rolling various-sized small fondant "pearls" to attach all over the cake. It looks great, but took forever to execute. I was so tired by the time I starting "pearling" the third tier, that I started eating a "pearl" for every 3 or 4 I was rolling just to keep my energy up. I was jittery and tired like Whitney after an all night binge only without the profuse sweating (have you seen those concerts she did for HBO? - her pores were like faucets!). I actually watched "Elf" twice in a row on TNT and was well into my third viewing when I decided to call it quits. Great movie, by the way ("Why don't you just say it. I'm the worst toy maker in the world. I'm a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.").

The rest of the day was just as tedious. I sat at the keyboard during cake breaks and tried to lay down the tracks for the songs we're going to perform at the anniversary "show" this weekend. I'll probably hate the tracks when I listen to them again later in the week, but I couldn't bare to sit at the keyboard for more than 20 minutes at a time. All four of us (Juan, Val and Trish) are burning the candle at both ends trying to get this shindig together. We are so in the weeds - I'll be maniacally baking and freezing sheet cakes all week in preparation for the 250 (!) guests that have RSVP-ed; we also haven't rehearsed the reception show or the actually church music at all - just picked it out; Val is trying to scan, edit and compile hundreds of family pictures to put together a video slide show for the reception; we have to pick a show for next summer's High School theater program; Auditions are coming up for both Juan's Oklahoma! and my Madame Butterfly; we have a Holiday Concert coming up in two weeks that we have yet to start rehearsing for; I have to find a storage unit and coordinate the move of my old roommate's belongings out of my apartment (he's in China with the 42nd Street tour); I haven't cleaned the bathroom in weeks and the apartment is just plain nasty; I haven't started any of my Christmas shopping; I lost my cell phone yet AGAIN!; Trish lost her cell phone as well (and we have no land line); and on top of all that, I may soon be unemployed from my current temp job! Yeah! Between all of that, I hope to also book a few more church gigs and plenty of caroling jobs so I can scrape together my rent. I know, I know - "stop your bitching" you're saying to yourself. I'm sure I'll be complaining about having nothing to do in January when I'm living in a cardboard box in Times Square. Actually, I'd probably choose Union Square if I had to, much nicer neighborhood and less tourist traffic.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"