Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm so old

So I just started rehearsals for Beauty and the Beast at South Plainfield High School. Man, do I feel old. I don’t know how these teachers cannot be depressed. You’re basically assaulted by youthful vim and vigor at every turn. I don’t think I could take being constantly reminded how not “with-it” I am. I hear the noise coming from their white earbuds and think, “That’s music?” When did I turn into an old man?

I guess you could be a “cool” teacher and try to identify with the kids’ fashion, music and pop culture. But to me, that just seems like a pathetic attempt to try and stay relevant in a group that ultimately, though probably not to your face, thinks you’re just some old guy acting like an idiot.

I was never cool or popular in High School. In fact, I’m sure I was referred to as a nerd or fag behind my back. But of course, I get the last laugh. I’ve seen my 20th High School reunion pics (I, naturally, had rehearsals that weekend) and the cool kids are now fat, pregnant, alcoholic, divorced or some combination thereof. I gotta’ say, I’d never trade my current status to have been one of the cool kids in High School. How sad must it be to be in your late-30’s and think your HS years were the best/happiest time of your life?

Anyway, rehearsals are progressing slowly as I attempt to remember that these are not Broadway trained dancers, but High School students who just now are becoming aware of their bodies. High School girls have no idea how to be alluring or coquettish. It’s just a one way ticket to Slutsville for these girls. Thank you, Madonna. I reiterate, when did I become an old man?

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"