Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's an honor just to be nominated...

Ok, so I'm sure this post is going to get me blacklisted from every community theatre in New Jersey, but, oh well. I've never run with the "popular kids" before, so why start now? I found out this week that I was nominated for a Perry Award for Outstanding Choreography for the production of Oklahoma! I choreographed this spring at the CDC. First, I give a hearty "thank you" to the nominating committee and to my awesome cast (and I mean that without the slightest hint of sarcasm). But I know Michael Bennett is spinning in his grave at the thought that I'd top any list of choreographers. Honestly, I could barely hand jive when I booked my first national tour, Grease!, back in the 90's (as my good friend and that show's dance captain, Chris, will definitely attest to). God, I'm old.

I know I should feel honored and sh*t and I am, truly. But the Perry people just seem so out of touch with the theatre community (not community theatre) at large and, dare I say it, almost feel like a cult. When I talked to the representative, he exclaimed that we (the Pineda's) were an up-and-coming family in the NJ community theatre world. Really? Up-and-coming? Juan - Broadway veteran; me - couple of national tours, prestigious regional credits and a Carbonell nomination; Trish - soloist with several national symphony orchestras; and Val - conservatory grad (well, not officially, but that's another story) and successful producer of professional opera. So by their standards, if you haven't done NJ community theatre you haven't "made it"? How sad. I know I sound jaded and snotty, and perhaps I'm acting a bit high and mighty, but I don't really see it that way. It just struck me as so ridiculous when I heard the guy actually say "up-and-coming." Technically, I guess we are "up-and-coming" in the community theatre world in NJ, but it's purely semantics. Isn't it just a bit ironic to put "NJ community theatre" and "up-and-coming" in the same sentence anyway? The whole conversation and "buzz" around the Perry's just seems so Guffman-like.

Never one to pretend that I'm a pillar of righteousness, I have to admit that I was sort of an asshole to the Perry guy (I use this moniker throughout as I don't make it a habit of printing names unless I'm complimenting someone, I know the person can handle the criticism or if I just flat out hate the person). Our phone conversation went something like this:

Perry dude: Congratulations, the Pineda's seem like an up-and-coming family in the NJ community theatre world.
Me (deadpan): ...or maybe we just got lucky.
Perry dude: (moment of stunned silence)...well, uh, ok.

I guess my singular brand of sarcasm just doesn't read over the phone. Or I just don't take compliments well. Or maybe I'm really just an asshole. Either way, it's too late to take it back now. I guess I can kiss any future nominations good-bye. Sigh.

I'm sure they do a bang up job with the presentation and that the ceremony is entertaining, etc. But the Perry guy actually said it was "like the Tonys." In what way? Radio City vs. hotel banquet hall, Broadway/movie stars vs. local community theatre talent (minus the Pineda's since we're just "up-and-coming"), voters seeing at least most of the shows under consideration vs. point system where no one sees a majority of the shows under consideration. Just like the Tonys? Hmmm. What I'm hoping from the ceremony is an entertaining night of people-watching, so that I can have lots of juicy stuff to write about the next day. The one thing that seemed truly exciting about his description of the event? - 700 drunk theatre people staying overnight in a hotel together. Now that's drama. Can't wait!

1 comment:

TrishDelish said...

i have 2 things to say to you:

1. bajing olympics! (no, not beijing)

2. "that could not have gone worse!"

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"