Thursday, August 21, 2008

Michael Bennett is laughing his ass off

How much can one accomplish in 45 seconds? Quite a lot actually. After I stopped bitching and moaning about the time restriction placed on the presentation of my “Outstanding Choreography” by the producers of the Perry Awards ceremony, I began whittling the 15-minute dream ballet down to a 30 to 40 second snippet that would best display my choreographic genius (sarcasm folks, get used to it). Granted, I didn’t stop bitching and moaning until just this weekend, when I met with my two lovely leads, Chris and Corinne. But after some judicious cutting and some creative re-choreographing, we’ve actually come up with a 45 second mini-dream ballet! Not that it’s perfect or that I couldn’t use another 10-15 seconds (or minute or two or three), but necessity is definitely the mother f*cker of invention.

Now just because I was able to figure out a sufficient (though not ideal) solution, I still think 40 seconds is ridiculous. Here’s how the producers explained the time limit to me - and I’m paraphrasing quite freely, of course. Since Michael Bennett was able to accomplish so much in the first 40 seconds of A Chorus Line, you should, too. And that makes sense how? It’s apples and oranges. First, Bennett was a genius and I am not worthy to wash his dance belt, let alone deign to think I could accomplish anything remotely akin to ACL. But I can’t speak for the other nominees. Perhaps one of them is a genius on par with Bennett hiding in the world of community theatre in defiance of the artistically barren, commercial wasteland that is Broadway. But I seriously doubt it. Also, there’s context. The first 40 seconds of ACL are not plot-driven. It’s an audition situation that is meant to showcase technique, not further plot. What are you supposed to get out of that first 40 seconds of ACL? That these are really good dancers at an audition. Of course, that's over-simplifying and God knows I'm not implying that the first 40 seconds of ACL aren't brilliant, but Bennett's genius was that he knew his context, not to mention his knack for putting together striking stage pictures and formations. It's not so difficult to put together a series of difficult tricks. But try to couple those tricks with concise, meaningful story-telling. That’s a different matter. I choose to present a complete, thoughtful section of choreography that tells a full story and develops character rather than haul out a horse-and-pony show of triple pirouettes and tour jetes.

And then there’s tempi - there are a lot of counts to fill in that first 40 seconds of ACL. Not so much if you’re using a slower, lyrical section of music. I know what you’re thinking. Nobody’s holding a gun to your head, Mr. Holier-Than-Thou Fausto, and forcing you to use the Dream Ballet. OK, fine, you got me there. But I was told that it would be “really great” if I could. I mean, how subtle a hint do I need? The producers obviously want me to do that section. Anyway, the other nominees are either tap or traditional “Broadway”-style jazz dance. All of which, in my opinion, are more easily showcased in a 40 second snippet. I mean, 40 seconds of 42nd Street? Puh-leaze. I can have 15 people doing wings and triple time steps and finish it off with front handsprings across the stage and the audience will be creaming in their pants.

And then the shows nominated for Best Production get seven minutes to present whatever they want. Seven minutes? That's three full songs. The Tonys don't even grant seven minutes.

The Perry people complain that their ceremony takes too long. Might I suggest 90 seconds for choreography and 5 minutes for musical scenes? I think that’s completely fair and still manages to cut down the time of presentations by several minutes. Oh well, I’m just bitching and enjoying they view up here from my high horse. The Perry producers don’t give a rat’s ass what I think, although I am part of the Pineda's, an up-and-coming family in NJ community theatre. That should count for something. Or more likely, nothing. But I guess I'm just ranting like a lunatic. But it's far cheaper to do it here than on a therapists couch. Deep breath - I feel much better now.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"