Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael and Farrah...

I admit Jacko’s odd behavior over the last couple of decades has caused a raised eyebrow or two from my direction. But I can also admit that my first LP, for those of you old enough to have owned vinyl (and don’t even talk to me if you don’t know what vinyl is), was “Off The Wall”. That was the Michael I knew and loved; Michael of the untamed afro, with pre-bleached dark skin and wide nose. I remember how awesome I thought it was that the album cover folded out to reveal him in his signature “on the toes” stance with his shiny black shoes and white socks. Ah, the 80’s. Now we have itsy-bitsy digital players that completely forsake cover art and the joys of having a tangible, concrete piece of art in your hands. I know it takes up less space, but part of the joy of LPs (and even CDs) was tearing through the plastic wrapping and paging through those liner notes and photographs. I know you can do that online now, but it’s just not the same. When did I become so old and nostalgic?

Anyway, I must also mention the lovely Ms. Farrah Fawcett. As a co-worker so aptly put it this morning, “Michael stole Farrah’s thunder.” How callous, but how true. Farrah hit the height of her popularity just before I was interested in pop culture. So she didn’t make quite the same impression on my youthful noggin’ as Michael. It also probably had something to do with the fact that I had absolutely no interest in the famous red swimsuit shot. Now, Tom Selleck in a red thong circa 1980, that’s another story and another discussion for a private thread. Regardless, the woman was a 70’s icon and no matter how many replacements and remakes, she will always be the original "Angel".

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"