Monday, June 1, 2009

Until next opera season...

Pass me a cocktail. It’s over and the kids managed to pull through once again. After some nail biting and stress binging on ice cream and sun chips, the final performance of Pineda Lyric’s Young Artist production of The Magic Flute is history. I’m not saying it was perfect, but what transpired on that stage was astonishingly good considering certain leads (who shall remain nameless so as not to tarnish a great weekend of performances) had not yet had all their lines memorized 48 hours prior to opening.

I know, you’re probably thinking, “If the kids did such a good job, why even bother pointing it out?” Well, dear readers, it is to make a point. Pineda Conservatory is about learning and about teaching students proper performance technique. If I were to judge myself by the students’ preparation, I would have to give myself a big fat “F”.

When leads don’t know their lines, you can’t rehearse them. Sure, you can tell them, “Stand there. Cross over there. Sit on this word.” But moving living furniture is not the same as directing. Reading from your script and fumbling through your lines is not rehearsing. What is exasperating to me is that the potential was there for not just a good production, but a spectacular production.

Yes, the audience sees a great final product. But since I know the cast’s freakishly high talent level and I realize the immense potential, what I see is “what could have been.” In a way, it feels like I haven’t done my job properly. Was there something I should have explained differently? How could I have motivated the students better? It’s tough to admit, but not having my own children, I sometimes feel like a surrogate parent to these thirty some odd kids. Luckily, I don’t have to feed them, clothe them or send them to college.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m immensely proud and happy that our Young Artists were able to present such a good show, but hope they go away thinking, “Next year, I’m gonna’ know my sh*t before the first performance, because this could be something amazing.”
Queen of the Night and 3 Ladies


Papageno & Papagena

Pamina
Tamino, Papageno & Priests

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"