Saturday, December 26, 2009

Ragtime is to Fausto as crack is to…

a) crazy whore
b) eager, young financial analyst
c) Amy Winehouse
d) all of the above

Obviously, the answer is “d.” Have you never taken a standardized test before?

Yesterday afternoon I found myself at the Neil Simon Theatre seeing Ragtime. Again. That’s three times in a month. I’m totally obsessed! Granted, Trish and I took my brother, Gerry, who was up from Texas for the holidays. But even I can recognize the signs of addiction. Someone call “Intervention.”

Anyway, there’s not much more to say except that this show continues to kick just about every show’s ass that’s currently playing. Not that it’s a perfect production, but as far as gorgeous stage pictures, often inspired direction, thrilling music and solid ensemble work, not much on the boards can beat it.

As for Christmas, well, it was the usual family craziness. Both sets of parents (the brown and the white), me, Trish and my brother Gerry squeezed into Juan and Val’s Jersey house. I won’t go into details, but damn, it’d make a great movie. Between catering to the various parents, singing for Christmas mass at Juan’s church, Val streaming bodily fluids from several orifices (don’t ask) and everyone making sure there was always a steady flow of food and beverage from the kitchen, there wasn’t much time left for celebrating Jesus’ birthday.

We did manage to have a full family sit-down breakfast on Christmas morning, lovingly prepared by the men of the house, Gerry and Joey (Val’s brother). And we finally opened presents around noon, just in time for lunch! Sensing a theme? Besides the usual sweaters and pajamas, I finally got my Christmas wish - a Slap Chop! It’s the little things…

Merry Christmas, everyone! And I don’t care if you’re not Christian. Yes, you heard me. The p.c. police can just haul me off to Gitmo. Love ya, kisses.

1 comment:

Gerry said...

I very much enjoyed 'Ragtime', even the girl who played Sarah because I too busy concentrating on how good-looking she was to notice her singing. Thanks for treating me to the show!

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"