Monday, January 31, 2011

My crazy dream and "Sweet Music"

Calling all amateur psychologists out there, tell me what's going on in my warped mind that would encourage the trippy dream I had last night. 

I was a character on "Glee" except we were in College, not High School.  The only character I can clearly remember was Mr. Schuester (aka Matthew Morrison) who was still a teacher, but for some reason also lived in the dorms with us.  He and some other dorm mates were making fun of me because I didn't want to join the ski team.  I can't remember the exact details anymore, but somehow I also had a "coming out" moment and Mr. Schuester was making fun of me for being gay.  It ended with me having dinner with Ellen DeGeneres and her wife, Portia, eating grilled meats and other assorted organs (I can clearly remember having a piece of grilled heart - gross, I know, but that's what I remember). 

I'm not exactly sure how it went from Mr. Scheuster's harassment to dinner with Ellen.  It's all foggy and I was trying to remember it as I was waking up but the more I concentrated on details, the more the images just floated out of my head.  I don't ski and I definitely have never eaten heart - well, not that I know of.  I do watch "Glee" and "Ellen," so I sort of get that connection, but the whole coming out thing doesn't really make sense to me considering I came out years ago and any hang-ups I had with that have long since been ironed out.  I also found it odd we were grilling meat since I know Ellen's vegan. 

Oh well, the only reason I mention it is because I usually forget my dreams by the time I've thrown my feet over the edge of the bed, so it's a unique treat when I can remember so many of the f*cked up details.

Speaking of f*cked up, this past Saturday, we (Juan, Val, Trish and I) put on one of our (in)famous thrown-together-at-the-last-minute concerts for the First United Methodist Church in Scotch Plains where Juan music directs.  We literally strung together a 90 minute concert in one rehearsal the night before the performance.  With three additional random guest performers and a crazy mix of pop songs, showtunes and Christian songs, we put together a program as eclectic as the passengers on a rush hour 7 train to Flushing.  Juan had actually warned us about the concert the week before, so I had at least already picked out two traditional songs since my go-to material can be somewhat risque for a Church-going crowd. Although same-sex love ballads and campy drag numbers bring the house down at more secular functions and venues, I sensed a more modest tone would be appropriate for the Methodists.  Know your audience, says I!

Since the church billed the evening as a concert and dessert reception (thus the concert's title, "Sweet Music"), I went with the food theme and chose the perennial favorite, "Sara Lee."  I did have a slight panic attack at the grocery store when I couldn't find a single Sara Lee item in the frozen food section to use as a prop for my song.  It seems Marie Callender and Stouffer's had pushed poor Sara into a lowly bottom corner of the freezer case. 

Glancing at our anemic set list late Friday night, Juan and I decided to throw together a duet version of "This is the Moment" (barf) from Jekyll & Hyde to fill out the evening and amp up the cheese factor.  Not to be outdone, Trish and Val countered with the equally cheesy, but in my opinion, better written and composed anthem "I Will Never Leave You" from Sideshow.  It's so sad that the loudest cheese always brings the biggest applause (sigh). 

Per usual, we didn't decide who would accompany which song until the night before either.  So we were kind of winging it at the concert.  Given that Dane, who was scheduled to accompany a couple of the numbers, didn't realize we had a Friday night rehearsal and that our regular drummer, Dan, showed up two hours before the concert and was winging it sans music, the concert ended up going pretty damn smoothly.  In the end, it was all just an excuse to donate money and scarf empty calories in the name of God, so I think everyone had a good time.  When there's a chocolate fountain involved, no one cares what you're singing anyway.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"