Sunday, February 6, 2011

Help me!

Profuse sweating, hand tremors, anxiety, sleeplessness, intense food cravings - wait, that’s nothing new - but the rest, classic withdrawal symptoms. My name is Fausto and I’m a showtune-holic. It’s been 18 days since I last “viewed” (that would be Sunset Boulevard at the Signature in DC which I haven’t even written about yet!).

With so many shows closing in January and the new crop of shows starting previews in March (just in time for Tony nominations), I’ve been in a show-going slump. Yes, I already have my tickets for The Book of Mormon and I’m waiting for my bank account to plump up a bit before using those discount codes for How To Succeed, Anything Goes, War Horse, Catch Me If You Can & Sister Act - but what’s a girl to do during the February doldrums? Why, go to the movies, of course!

I know it’s totally not the same thing, but Trish and I decided to do a movie-themed Saturday beginning with a visit to the newly renovated Museum of the Moving Image right in our very own ‘hood, Astoria. The ultra modern lobby is a minimalist’s wet dream, all white and clean lines. It’s damn impressive, but they’re gonna’ use a lot of swiffer pads keeping that floor scuff free.

The exhibits are basically the same (I last visited about five years ago) but “spiffed up” with additions that include recent movies like Black Swan. If you’re not the reading type, there are plenty of cool interactive exhibits - like voicing over classic movie scenes (we tag-teamed on a scene from My Fair Lady and the we’re-not-in-Kansas-anymore scene from Wizard of Oz) and creating your own stop motion animated movies. They also have a huge collection of costumes, set designs and models, prosthetics, make-up and wigs and memorabilia on display. It’s definitely worth the ten bucks to get in. But get there early, the under twelve crowd starts to take over around noon time. I feel only slightly guilty for knocking a bratty nine-year old out of the way in order to add burping noises to a Simpson’s episode. Don’t judge me, I’m in withdrawal.

The rest of the day was literally spent in the Kaufmann Astoria movie theatre. We did a double feature, Sanctum (the James Cameron produced 3-D flick that takes place in a cave) and The Rite (the Anthony Hopkins exorcist movie). Technically, we only paid for Sanctum since we … um… “accidentally” wandered into The Rite looking for the bathroom. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Sanctum didn’t suck as much as I thought it would and what it lacked in story-telling finesse it made up for in bloody action sequences.

Anthony Hopkins is the ultimate creeper. I mean, he is just a scary dude. There’s nothing new or groundbreaking happening here, but it’s totally enjoyable with several good scares and a couple of hands-over-your-eyes moments. Though admittedly my opinion might be slightly skewed given I didn’t pay anything.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"