Friday, August 17, 2012

'Cause I'm a blonde, yeah, yeah, yeah...

I just want to say that being chosen as this month's Miss August is
like a compliment I'll remember for as long as I can.
Right now I'm a freshman in my fourth year at UCLA but my goal is
to become a veterinarian cause I love children.
‘Cause I'm a blonde yeah, yeah, yeah,
‘Cause I'm a blonde yeah, yeah, yeah
- Julie Brown
Since this summer was all about the blonde, I decided to post these lyrics from one of my favorite movie musical guilty pleasures of the 80s, Earth Girls Are Easy, starring…wait for it…Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans.  Pretty impressive, huh?  Well, they must all have been seriously hard up for cash or in deep doo-doo with their dealers to sign off on this script, because this movie is a big ol’ train wreck.  But what a beautiful, hilarious and tacky train wreck it is!  Check it out some night if you’re bored.  It’s extra entertaining if your drunk or otherwise “impaired.”    

Angie Sandoukas as Elle Woods in Pineda Conservatory's Legally Blonde
Anyway, back to the blonde at hand, Legally Blonde, which ended our 2012 summer conservatory season.  Last year’s jet-setting across Europe prevented me from choreographing during last summer’s session.  So I was a bit rusty when it came to the fancy footwork needed for LB’s contemporary pop score (not to mention carrying a good 15 pounds of extra jiggle around the middle).

I’m not exactly a hip-hop master, so I hit up some of my old dance cronies (aka youtube) to freshen up on how the young ‘ns are breaking it down these days. Seriously, you can learn anything from youtube.  Of course, since most of the dancing in Legally Blonde involves slutty, whore-ish sorority girls, a more appropriate course of action might have been to take a pole dancing class at Crunch.  But since our underage cast would likely be shaking their groove thangs in front of their horrified fathers, I decided to tone it down a notch - but just a tiny notch.

Imagine little old me teaching 15 year olds how to pelvic thrust, gyrate and open-thigh squat in rhythm.  Okay, I guess it’s really not that hard to imagine if you’ve known me for more than five minutes.  But it was still slightly uncomfortable teaching our sweet little 9th grade girls how to get nasty.  We all gotta’ learn sometime.

More surprising (and encouraging) to me was how unfazed the kids were with all the gay references in the script.  It’s telling when two straight teenage boys have no problem with a gay kiss, but their parents do.  Maybe we are finally evolving as a species.  Or maybe not.  You decide based on these photos from Disney Dress-up Day at camp.

RyRy & Malika are Mickey & Mini

Marisa is a princess

Fausto's a fairy - no comments, please.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"