Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wedding night jitters...

I can’t believe The Wedding Singer is finally opening tomorrow night after only three months of rehearsal. In case you didn’t get it, that’s sarcasm, folks. Granted, we only rehearse a couple of times a week, but it seemed like a lifetime.

This week was particularly trying as the usual personality flair ups and hidden egos emerged from formerly docile individuals under the stress of the dreaded TECH WEEK. I, myself, am guilty of losing it a couple of times over the past few days, mainly for messy choreography. Unfortunately, my “extremely angry” is other people’s “mildly irritated.” Which I guess is probably slightly confusing for the cast, since I rarely raise my voice unless I’m screaming out counts. The day after my “tantrum,” I had to explain to a couple of cast members that I was, in fact, very angry at a certain individual, even though it seemed like business as usual. Which probably means I’m going to snap one day and murder an entire cast for some trivial mistake - “I said kick on ‘two’ not ‘three.’ Die biyatches!” And curtain.

My other flip out this week was over costume changes. We had a few people complaining about the unreasonable amount of time they had for changes. I don’t know where these people have worked before, but to me, a “quick” costume change is under 20 seconds. Anything over that is basically a spa day. I’m especially unsympathetic when you complain after only trying the change once or twice without giving us the opportunity to work it out. Hello - that’s what tech week is for. It’s especially laughable knowing we had a 15 second full costume change in our last show at CDC. Seth has a fun section about quick changes in his Broadway 101 show - it’s also only 15 seconds and even has a wig change!



I think Trish (our costumer) has finally worked out all the kinks and everyone will get onstage fully clothed. Well, if they’re supposed to be, anyway. Tonight we do our first performance for an invited audience of mainly senior citizens. Scary, I know, considering the show is squarely in PG-13 territory with some questionable sexual content. But, hey, senior citizens deserve a little excitement in their lives as well, right? I feel some walk outs coming.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"