Saturday, October 23, 2010

Opera singers are all crazy.  I should know, having started out as one.  But working with young, professional singers on a regular basis as a director has only proven the statement as fact.  Okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh, but being on the other side of the table has certainly provided me with the skill set and experience to rival any psychiatric residency program.  I think all opera singers (and actors in general) should have to direct at least a couple of productions before being granted their respective degree or union affiliation. 

Directing is equal parts therapist, baby-sitter, cheerleader and politician.  Anyone who says it's all about creating art is full of shit and is probably a terrible director.  I'd equate directing a cast to adopting a bunch of grown children incessantly asking, "Who do you love best?" while singing high C's at you.  Yes, it's also the process of creating a thematic and visual unity, creating clarity and truth from outrageous stories and coaxing real and grounded performances often out of thin air.  But if you can provide just the right combination of ego-stroking, manipulation, compromise and honest criticism, the performances always seem to fall into place.  

Why the pointed rant?  I guess I'm just stressed out with all the rehearsals for La Traviata.  It's been a somewhat harrowing enterprise, given the fact we won't see a full cast until probably the first run through.  I was also the bad guy this weekend, having to cut dancers out of a number not because they couldn't execute the combination, but because I had to own up to the fact that my choreography just didn't work in the scene.  Now I know how a Broadway composer must feel when he's told he needs to cut his favorite song because it just doesn't move the plot along.  

Okay, enough of the self-pitying crap.  I will now official suck it up and stop whining.  Only two more rehearsals and then - gasp - TECH WEEK!  Did I mention this cast is going to sound amazing?  It's officially my last night off until we close the show.  I will now watch some TV and do absolutely nothing for the next few hours.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"