Monday, October 18, 2010

Wieners, walkers & cheese, oh my.

Trish and I played lunch lady to over 7,000 hungry walkers last weekend at North Central New Jersey’s Walk Now for Autism Speaks.  Pineda Conservatory’s own Mama Love, catering Goddess and volunteer extraordinaire, chaired the event and we took this opportunity to repay Jen for her constant support over the years (and for her regular supply of lip-smackingly good lemon chicken). 

First off, unlimited free hot dogs and mac & cheese - can I get an “Amen”?  I haven’t seen a Sunday morning in months except flat on my back in bed (don’t judge), so it was quite a feat getting up in time to drive from Queens to Cranford for the event.  Soaking in the unseasonably warm fall weather, Trish and I lazed around Nomahegan Park.  Jen, armed with her sexy security guard walkie talkie, soon received word that they were looking for “two good people” to help at the food stand.  Do you know anybody “good”-er than Trish and I?  Methinks not. 

Thus began our three hour stint scooping mac & cheese and stuffing wieners into buns (tee hee).  Trish found her rhythm with the wieners and was soon satisfying the hungry hoards (tee hee hee).

Several Conservatory mothers were surprised to reach the end of the long line (at times stretching clear down the length of the parking lot) only to find Pinedas on the other side of the table.  Trish took umbrage at one parent who commented (and I paraphrase) that she was surprised to see us working.  Oh no she dih-int.  We only wipe their kids asses nine hours a day during the summer and at least once a week during the school year.  This parent has obviously never spent a tech week backstage with us.  Serving wienies is a spa treatment compared to putting up a show in a week.

Anyway, Trish and I had a great time socializing and feeding the masses for the day.  We even got to enjoy cinnamon donuts and sparkling cider by the lake after clean-up. 

If you’d like to support a wonderful cause that is near and dear to us, please click here and consider donating your time or make a contribution (or both!).

Trish, Jen and I showing alot of teeth

Trish and her weiners

Me and my cheese

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"