Tuesday, May 20, 2008

OK RIP

Of course, I was deathly ill for the closing weekend of Oklahoma! There was a nasty bug floating around the cast and I wasn’t even lucky enough to contract it through some sordid means. After calling in sick to work on Friday, I attempted to sleep through the day in order to get through the show. Since I’m “only” playing in the pit for the performances (yes, in case you missed it, I was co-director, choreographer AND pit musician for this production, thank you very much), personal appearance was of no consequence. Good thing, because I definitely looked like sh*t when I arrived at the theatre.

Anyway, we had full houses and enthusiastic audiences for the closing. All in all, a great first experience with community theatre. I’m such a jaded b*tch. While the actors were tearful during the final curtain call, I was, quite frankly, looking forward to getting a break from my weekly reverse commute to the suburbs. Now I have to decide if I can possibly force myself to choreograph this theatre’s upcoming production of High School Musical in the fall. Decisions, decisions.

A glutton for punishment, the remainder of the weekend was spent in rehearsals for Pirates... which goes up in two weeks. There’s nothing like blocking an entire second act in one eight-hour long stretch on a Sunday afternoon! The upcoming holiday weekend prompted our marathon staging-fest. Still suffering from a fever, I dozed in and out of consciousness throughout the day. Admittedly, this will not be my best work. Oh well. I’m sure even Hal Prince has an off-day.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"