Friday, January 15, 2010

Spring clean-up.

I know it's only January and if the past is any indication, we're still likely for a blizzard or two before the season's over. But for some reason I've recently been on an organizational and cleaning kick. Perhaps it's late onset OCD or too many episodes of Hoarders, but I decided to clean up my blog by condensing my reviews by year. So if you want to check out any old show reviews, just hit the link on the left sidebar and you'll be taken to a list of links to all my past reviews. Enjoy!

And speaking of clean-up...

Last night after emptying the contents of my closet, I decided that Thursday evening after a 9-hour day at the office and just prior to a three day Holiday weekend would be the perfect time to prep and paint. And I wasn't using any old water-based acrylic paint, I pulled out the big guns and decided to set down a coat of Kilz sealant/primer. F*ck those warnings about wearing gloves or making sure there's adequate ventilation. I'm a man, damn it!

Within 20 minutes I was high from noxious paint fumes and stumbling around like a Lohan. In my zeal to finally convert the tiny 4x4 closet into a home "office," I threw caution to the wind - or in my case, to the arctic breeze blowing through my apartment. For with my project well underway I could only press forward, open all the windows, plug in some fans and set them all on "exhaust." And yes, last night's temperature did drop below freezing. Sure, my poisoned lungs were now behaving like an 80-year-old lifelong smoker's and I couldn't walk a straight line, but toxic fumes are certainly great for knocking you out for a good night's sleep. And luckily, I even woke up this morning.

There was still a slightly sweet, chemical smell lingering in the air as I got ready fo work, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Or die. Or development super-human powers! Not to mention the white paint freckles all over my hands and arms that boiling water and steal wool could not remove. If Kilz sticks to the wall as well as it does to my hand, it will all have been worth the effort.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"