Friday, April 30, 2010

Some of you are probably wondering what the hell is up with The Wedding Singer. Tech week starts tonight and I’ve only just mentioned it in passing a couple of times here in the last three months. To be honest, I’ve been so overwhelmed with rehearsals, research and prep, that any time I have away from Wedding Singer is cherished, mullet-free me time. What were we smoking back in High School (Class of '88, hollah!)? I mean, really, no one looks good in a mullet.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy the process or the cast. In fact, we have a kick ass group of leads and an ensemble with (gasp) actual male dancers! Unfortunately, that means I need to have actual choreography prepared for them to execute.

I am the first to admit that I have quite a large artistic ego. So I challenged myself not to copy any of the Broadway dances. Unfortunately, many of the iconic moments are fully ingrained into my psyche from having seen the show twice (maybe three times? - can’t remember) and watching the numerous youtube clips of regional productions all copying the Broadway choreography. I’m content, though not totally happy to admit that I’ve come up with about 90% original work. I mean, it’s an 80’s show so you basically have to resign yourself to using the running man somewhere, right?

Did I also mention that I’m the co-director, set designer, set painter, part-time rehearsal pianist and second keyboard player in the pit band? I know, talk about control freak, right? Oh well, at least I can admit it.

But back to the original point - what’s been going on at rehearsals for the last three months? Well, there is plenty of gossip (who’s gay, who’s not gay, who used to be gay), artistic rifts between staff and cast and an inevitable show-mance or two. But hey, just change the names, show and theatre and you pretty much get the backstage drama at any theatre group in the country (and probably the world). Dear God, am I actually having an existential moment here? What is the meaning of it all? Oh, sweet Nietzsche, I need a drink before our forty hour rehearsal tonight.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"