Thursday, March 10, 2011

Poor Spidey

I’ve only been casually commenting on Spider-man’s continuing production traumas since every major news outlet seems to think it’s headline news.  Imagine TV production meetings all over the country - “Shall we lead off with Iraq, labor strife in Wisconsin or Spider-man?” 

Not that I’m complaining.  How often does Broadway get regular national coverage?  But it seems everyone is obsessed with Bono and Taymor’s vanity project.  Would a $65 million dollar revival of Hello, Dolly! starring Christine Ebersole warrant the same press attention?  “Christine, who?” you ask.  Methinks not.

What I do find somewhat heartening is that finally, after months of previews and painfully bad reviews, the production team is finally deciding to stop this run-away train before it careens into bankruptcy (again).  What have they been doing the last 100 preview performances (I viewed performance #4)?  Well,
apparently not much. 

I’m glad Bono recognizes that a complete overhaul is in order, but at least half of the show’s problems lie in the monotonous, un-theatrical score.  I’m a U2 fan, but Bono and the Edge need to go take a class at BMI.  Pop hooks and poetic cliché do not a musical score make.  At the very least, theatre songs need to illuminate character or move plot along.  Most of Spider-man’s score does neither.

Today’s press release, on the other hand, is a master class in spin.  So carefully worded as not to offend or accuse anybody.  Surprisingly, I’ve worked with the new director, Philip William McKinley, years ago in - brace yourselves - Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin at the Fireside Dinner Theatre.  He directed the original holiday revue “Christmas All Over the World.”  And yes, it was as cheesy as at sounds.  I actually don’t remember much about him except that he employed a lot of hydraulic lifts and spinning turntables.  He seems a good a choice as any. 

Though I wasn’t interested in seeing the show again, now I think I’ll have to buy a ticket if only to tell my grand-nieces or nephews that I saw the infamous Spider-man post- and pre- Taymor. 

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"