Thursday, March 31, 2011

High School shows

The Pinedas' annual March pilgrimage to each local high schools’ spring musical is finally over.  Since it’s just plain heartless to rip apart a high school production in a public forum, I’ll just limit my comments to praise and constructive criticism.  I don’t want to be accused of dashing some young thespian’s dream.  These young people have plenty of opportunities for heart-crushing disappointment once they move to New York and hit the audition circuit.

Oklahoma! at Cranford HS.  Gorgeous physical production, great leads, some fine singing, generally wonderful choreography but an over-choreographed title song.  Seriously, it’s acceptable to display beautiful technical dancing on its own, but not okay to display beautiful technical singing on its own?  I mean, if Agnes DeMille didn’t think to add choreography to the number…well, I’m just sayin’. 

Hairspray at Scotch Plains HS.  Incredible Tracy (Val’s student, Samantha Tropper), Penny Pingleton, Edna, and Wilbur; an energetic and diverse ensemble that for the most part, overcame dirge-like tempos.  Hand that conductor a red bull.

Sweeney Todd at Westfield HS.  OK, I didn’t see this, but Trish and Val told me the ensemble singing/staging was quite impressive.  To be honest, I have no desire to watch teenagers perform one of my favorite Sondheim shows.  It’s just too complex and sophisticated for teens no matter how talented.  While we’re at it, I’d probably also refuse to see a high school production of Follies, Company, Sweet Charity, Dreamgirls, Showboat or Gypsy except to laugh at the inappropriateness of it all.
Thoroughly Modern Millie at Hillside Middle School.  All I can say is cute, cute, cute.  I was dubious this show would work with 10-14 year olds, but mini-flappers and boys in zoot suits won me over.  And yes, some of the Asian stuff was on the verge of being offensive, but you can’t expect 10 year old kids to finesse the material the way an adult would.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"