Friday, June 10, 2011

Crazy with the heat

Maybe Harold Camping just miscalculated by a month or so.  It sure feels like we’ve been in hell the last two days.  My poor a/c has been running non-stop for the last three days and is now grinding like an old Model T. 

Tuesday night I did what any respectable New Yorker does in the face of such adversity.  I bought a movie ticket and relaxed for a couple of hours in the peace and comfy arctic chill of the theatre.  Just me, some popcorn, a hot dog, a cushy reclining seat and the X-men - heaven! 

The movie was solid, though not outstanding, summer fare.  Michael Fassbender is dreamy as the young Magneto.  If I was a newbie X, he’d certainly convince me to join the dark side.

The walk home from the subway was unbearable.  With my brain heat-fried and my body exhausted from the recent closing of yet another Pineda production, I forgot to set my alarm clock.  At 9:30 AM Wednesday morning, I promptly awoke from a deep slumber (I never made it to my bed, having fallen asleep on my couch watching TV).  Unfortunately, I’m supposed to be at my desk at 9:00 AM.  After a quick call to work and a pass under the shower, I was at my desk by 10:45 AM.  Not bad, eh? 

Of course, the heat made me drowsier than usually and as soon as I got home from work, I crashed on the couch again.  After what seemed like hours of sleep, I sprang awake, looked at the time displayed on NY1 (which I had fallen asleep to) and thought, “Oh shit, 8:17, I’ve done it again!”  There was no time to shower this time, so I quickly dressed and ran out the door into the muggy morning air. 

The sky was strangely dark and there seemed to be so many more people on the street than usual.  Something was not right.  I started to examine the businesses along my route, namely the restaurants, and realized it was 8:17 PM.  I had only fallen asleep for two hours.  Idiot.  I promptly turned around and headed back for an evening of trashy TV and Mexican take-out. 

Oh, what heat and exhaustion does to the brain.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"