Monday, June 20, 2011

Summertime and shopping

What happened to spring?  Seriously.  We went from record snowfall to 90 degree heat and humidity in a matter of weeks.  Stop with the aerosol cans already, people! 

Anyway, I’m usually very temperamental when it comes to shopping.  I get bored and tired really quickly.  But when I’m in the mood, watch out.  We’re talking marathon session and the debt of a small communist country.  So after a double dose of drama the other day, I decided on an afternoon of relaxation and retail therapy. 

My current obsessions are fedoras, namely the short-brimmed version or trilby, and espadrilles.  I know it’s a bit Eurotrash-y of me, but I can’t help it.  Don’t judge, but I even bought a couple pairs of linen drawstring pants.

Trish and I met Billy and Dan at the Urban Outfitters on the Upper East Side, just for a change of shopping scenery.  I filled my espadrille quota with a pair in brick red and a pair in Pineda Conservatory teal (see above).  I know you’ll all be jealous and want a pair, so better run out to your local Outfitters before they run out.  Those Pineda Conservatory kids are quick and are sure to buy out the whole stock.

We then wandered around The Container Store, which is my second favorite retail shop - my first being any type of office supply store (I know I have such weird fetishes!) where Dan, Billy and I stalked this young, muscle dude who was obviously cruising the store in tight jeans and a flimsy little tank top - trash!  I guess he wants a really organized boyfriend.

We ended the day with a late showing of “The Green Lantern” in Times Square after traipsing for miles - literally - around the city in search of Tasti D-Lite.  Didn’t it seem like there was a frozen yogurt joint on every block just a couple of years ago?  Oh well, like condoms, you can never find one when you really need one.  

As for the movie, thank God for the gratuitous shots of Ryan Reynolds in his underwear.  Otherwise, the script is pure curdled cheese.  And Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett must be hard up for cash to take such small, badly written roles.  Oh well, I guess stars have to eat, too.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"