Monday, April 16, 2012

Happy friggin' birthday to me...

I am now firmly ensconced in my fifth decade of life.  Forty two years of debauchery and licentiousness have not been kind to my body judging from the random aches and pains that seem to materialize out of thin air.

A two hour dance rehearsal that once left me exhilarated now finds me limping and sore.  But even though what's under the hood is rusty and leaking, there's still a shamwow shine to my exterior thanks to a good set of inherited genes.  If my parents are any indication, I shall remain eternally youthful into old age.

On my 30th Birthday I rented out the back room of a trendy midtown bar, sent a mass email to everyone I knew and partied all night.  This year, I schlepped my tired ass to the CDC theatre where I spent my very special day splattered in paint and sweat.  No, it was not some kinky birthday surprise.  Instead, I whiled the day away building and painting sets for Carousel and rehearsing.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  Luckily, Juan and Val were right there with me.

For the first day of the forty-second year of my existence I happily settled for a nice quiet dinner at the local Thai restaurant, a big glass of red wine and an evening splayed on the couch watching reality TV.

Partying is severely over-rated anyway.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"