Monday, July 21, 2008

High on the fumes, dude...

I've definitely been shirking my blogging duties as of late. Between working Morgan Stanley and getting Les Mis together, I've barely had time to take a dump, let alone write. That's actually not really accurate, as I can always make time for a good bowel movement. And yet I'm forcing myself to take some time out from my spoiled bankers and initiating some "me" time.

Well, I definitely woke up this morning with that familiar "I've partied all weekend in the dorm" feeling. Although I had to dig way back in the memory banks for it, since it's been decades since I've even stepped foot in a college dorm. But I spent the weekend painting (and inhaling the accompanying fumes) in the lobby of the CDC Theater in NJ. I (and Trish, too!) literally spent Friday night, all day Saturday (with one movie break) until 2AM, and all day Sunday trapped in the tiny lobby without air conditioning and with barely any ventilation. I've surely sustained some form of permanent lung damage, but I'm old and I'm sure to kick it at any moment anyway, so I thought, "What the f*ck?" Once again, forsaking health for external beauty. The lobby is gorgeous. And quite honestly, CDC doesn't deserve its beautiful new space after the hassle they gave us about trying to improve it. I mean, it was painted gray with gray trim and a gray carpet! Could you have picked a more monotonous, boring and unimaginative color scheme? It's a theater, for God's sake. A temple to creativity and the arts - and it was all gray. Did they not have a gay in the house to say, "Girl, what are you thinking, you need to sass it up!" And could it get any gayer than the color choices Trish and I made? - Iced Chai, Custard Cream and Cranberry - Why am I so hungry all of a sudden?

The Pineda Conservatory's Les Mis will be the first production to make use of the newly painted lobby. Good thing, as we're on our way to selling out all five performances. We actually ended up adding an additional Sunday evening performance because sales were so brisk. We have an audience, a theater and a beautiful new lobby. Now if we can just get the friggin' show together. I'm a little scared considering there are definitely some "under-rehearsed" moments throughout. But I'm sure it will be just grand by closing night.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"