Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Young at Heart

Watched a great documentary last night, Young at Heart, about a chorus of senior citizens in Northampton, MA that perform pop music. Wow, these are 70, 80 and 90 year olds gettin' their groove on! Embarassing for me, considering I was just complaining how tired I was from holding dance callbacks the other week for High School Musical. Even more embarassing, they're more hip to current pop music than I am. I don't think I've ever even heard a Coldplay or Sonic Youth song until watching the movie. Shows how square I am.

Anyway, what struck me most was the emotional and lyrical clarity these performers were able to convey through stillness. I don't want to get all Stanislavski on your ass, but we so-called "professional" actors could learn alot from their delivery - honest, heartfelt and unobstructed by useless physicality. Granted, their delivery choice is mainly a result of old age, but that doesn't negate the validity of their performances. Watch and learn people.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"