Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Harry's all grown up


Thank God the theatre season is back in full swing. Literally - with “little” Harry Potter giving the full monty last night at Equus. I’d never actually seen a staged version of this play until last night and although there are some wonderful performances, I think the play itself may be a bit dated. Especially considering that Dr. Phil assaults us on a daily basis and people go to therapy more often than they get haircuts. I mean, really, who isn’t psychologically scarred by their dysfunctional parents? The incident that is the impetus for the whole play is still shocking and its portrayal at the end of the play, though stylized, is disturbing. But I could see how the hypnosis scene and some of the psychotherapy sessions could have come off almost comically in the hands of lesser performers.

Although Daniel Radcliffe’s nudity was partial inspiration for buying the ticket, I was thoroughly impressed with his acting chops (and his abs). I honestly didn’t think he would be able to translate his movie acting to the stage, but I guess he showed me.

Richard Griffiths is just incredible. You really feel sympathy for the Doctor. His unfulfilled marriage and the jealousy for his patient’s misguided passion is heartbreaking. My gripe here is with the director, who kept planting Griffiths downstage front, conveniently blocking whole scenes upstage with Griffiths’ enormous frame. Thank God he moved him upstage for the nude scene. It would have been embarrassing trying inconspicuously to crane my neck around Griffiths’ stomach to get a peek at Radcliffe’s goods.

As for the rest of the cast, Kate Mulgrew is loud. It was like she was in a different play. I wouldn’t say she was bad, but she’s playing Medea. Bring it down a notch, lady, and match the tone of the rest of the cast. I’m actually surprised since I do think she’s a very good actress. Maybe she was having an off day. Oh well.

The horses were impressive and for the most part, the movement was creepily accurate. I’m not sure if the circular galloping that ends the first act was completely successful, but it was certainly athletic.

Up next is 13 tomorrow night. Looking forward to the JRB score but not so much watching a bunch of 13-year-olds “rocking out” for two hours. At least School of Rock had Jack Black.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"