Thursday, October 1, 2009

Playing catch-up

Chilling with Jude Law's Hamlet.
Damn, I'm behind in my postings. I know I still owe the rest of the details from my Connecticut food binge of a few weeks ago. I'm still on it and I should be posting soon with some fun pics. I just have to figure out how to work my digital camera. I'm a total idiot when it comes to new technology.

Surprisingly, in my anticipation and eventual anger over the Bye Bye Birdie revival, I completely forgot to jot down my thoughts on Jude Law's Broadway outing as Hamlet. So I'll keep it short and sweet. Yes, Jude Law has the acting chops, but the dreary and monotone production around him doesn't quite match his energy. If anything, Law could tone down the hisrionics a bit and internalize some of the great Dane's angst. He mainly plays varying degrees of anger and could benefit from a bit more variety. Maybe he's making up for the merely adequate cast surrounding him?

No one else on stage really registers the kind of charisma that Law exudes. There could have been some real fireworks on that stage had Law been paired with a more menacing Claudius, a stronger Gertrude, a more conniving Polonius and a less mousy Ophelia. And I wouldn't have objected to an extraneous nude scene either. A girl can dream...

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"