Monday, November 22, 2010

Elf

My ass hurts.  And not from what you’re thinking, dirty-birdy!  I had a crazy show-filled weekend so between that and sitting at my desk chair eight hours a day at work - well, you get the (not very pretty) picture. 

Show week started Thursday with Elf, the Broadway adaptation of the Will Ferrell movie.  It was harmless fun and worth a TDF ticket - though I’d rent the movie before I’d shell out $120 for a full price seat.  The music is adequate with a few numbers amped up by some great performances (“There is a Santa Claus”, “The Story of Buddy the Elf” and Amy Spanger’s elf dating song - which I’m sure casting directors are already putting on their “don’t sing” lists - as the standouts).  It’s harmless holiday fun and I did feel my tear glands welling a few times.  Granted, I cry at a bake sale, so I’m probably not a good barometer.  The incredible Beth Leavel added some meat and depth to what on paper probably read as a throw-away role.  Amy Spanger in a long, dark wig looks freakishly similar to Zooey Deschanel’s character in the movie.  The part is a bit under-written and her laissez-faire characterization didn’t help matters much.  Sebastian Arcelus is charming and enjoyable but lacks Will Ferrell’s abashed childlike ignorance.  He seemed to try too hard to ingratiate himself to the audience, but I think a longer run will help settle him down.  Oddly, the physical productions (except for the awesome, Technicolor costumes) looked cheap - like a budget bus-and-truck touring production.  Those rolling desks were hideous and the “nice” decorations in the Christmasland sequence look like dollar store finds.  The choreography also came off a bit theme park-y and seemed like a desperate attempt to throw in prop-ography in place of clean, character-driven movement. 

I know, it sounds like I hated the show.  But I actually did enjoy myself despite some reservations.  I think the score is good and the book adaption is excellent, but the physical production falls a bit short.  If I had all the money in the world to produce it, I’d give it to Jerry Zaks and Susan Stroman and let Michael Yeargan do the sets.  But since that will never happen, you’ll have to settle for what’s at the Martin Beck for now.


 The original Elf (Will Ferrell) l. and his Broadway doppelganger (Sebastian Arcelus) r.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"