Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sleep is highly overrated

We’re finally into tech week of Butterfly and I couldn’t be happier for it to be over. Don’t get me wrong, the cast is incredible, the orchestra sounds wonderful and the set even looks clean and classy, not just thrown together with furniture from friends’ living rooms like we usually end up doing. But this schedule of sitting behind a desk for nine hours and then commuting out to NJ for a four hour rehearsal is just tedious. Not to mention I’m way behind on episodes of Lost, American Idol and The Biggest Loser. I mean, you have to have your priorities. Anyway, Butterfly looks to be a great success, ticket-wise. The phone has been ringing off the hook with orders. So hopefully we may even get paid someday. Now that would truly be remarkable.

I think we may have even hit an LOC milestone, we’ve run through the entire opera and we still have two more run-throughs scheduled! I can’t remember when we’ve ever gotten one full run-through in before opening night. I can’t even remember the last time we got an entire show blocked - well, blocked a week before opening. Scary.

As I mentioned, the cast is crazy talented. John, our Pinkerton, could easily blow out your eardrums if you’re standing too close. Luckily, the voice is also gorgeous. Kam, (Cio-Cio San) sounds beautiful as usual and Jessica (Suzuki) is just remarkable. The kids told her that they call her “chocolate” because her voice is so smooth and creamy. We’ve even dangled a production of Carmen in front of her, hoping to win her back for next season. She seemed genuinely moved by our offer and we’re keeping our fingers crossed.

Tonight is the first run-through with costumes, so we’ll see what falls apart and who ends up running around the stage naked. Either way, I’m looking for tomorrow’s day off and vegging out in front of the TV, just me, the remote and a bag of chocolate.
"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"