Sunday, June 15, 2008

Tonys

Believe it or not, I almost missed them this year. I was in Jersey Sunday morning coaching some of our Les Mis cast members and had drifted into a food coma after once again consuming my weight in dim sum. Trish woke me up half an hour into the ceremony, just in time to catch the freakish (in a good way) Patti LuPone belt the bejesus out of Everything’s Coming Up Roses. (FYI: urban dictionary definition #2 - a term that can be used with just about any phrase to add emphasis. I was shizzing last night and it burned the bejesus out of my ass. I had a nightmare that I saw Todd naked and it scared the bejesus out of me.) Although she was amazing, it was a bit much for a wake up call. I think you need some prep time before getting the full on Patti in yo’ face.

Overall, I think the ceremony was pretty enjoyable. Lots of performances + shortened speeches = entertainment! Whoopi did a more than respectable job and some of her pre-taped skits were actually amusing. The novelty did begin to wear thin going into that third hour though. Could they really not think of anything more interesting for her to sing/say than "Tony"? On a side note, she makes one hideous Christine; funny and frightening at the same time. Although I sort of feel the same way about Sarah Brightman's performance in general.

I'm glad that South Pacific raked in the awards and that dreamy Paulo Szot won for Best Performance of a Leading Man. I'm proud to have the Brazilian babe playing for my team. I'm also glad to know that Liza's gay appeal factor is International. Truly, he was like a teenage girl seeing Wicked for the first time. And I'm sorry, but damn, that granny has some crazy ass hot legs! Work the mini beeyatch. I mean, she's like 90, right?

In the Heights' number convinced me to buy a ticket - fun, sexy number, great dancing and interesting characters. On the flip side, I was actually very interested in catching Passing Strange before the Tonys, but after its almost non-sequitor-like performance, I may just have to pass on it. It really made absolutely no sense out of context and just seemed trendy without substance. And they need to return Spring Awakening's back wall. Enough with the neon shit. Build a set people!

And once again the hunk with the tree trunk thighs, Cheyenne Jackson, tore it up. That boy can really sing. Damn him for being hot AND talented. I may just have to catch Xanadu again when he returns in August after his stint in Damn Yankees. I'm still debating on that one. If I hear there is some shirtless locker room action, I'll definitely have to break down and buy a ticket.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"