Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Waiting for Godot (2/23)

It’s taken awhile, but I’m finally getting around to talking about Godot (which I guess I’ve been mispronouncing for the last half century or so - according to this production GOD-oh). Oddly, this is the first time I’ve seen the play staged. It’s weird, because it’s always talked about so academically that you sort of forget it’s supposed to be entertainment. Well, I guess some would argue that it’s not. While some snooty types - you know who you are - spout meaningless crap they regurgitate from their college lit classes to make them feel better about themselves. But intellectual mumbo jumbo aside, I found Godot funnier than I remembered and also surprisingly frustrating (in a good way) in that you’re constantly left expecting something to happen even though you know damn well Godot is never gonna’ show up. It’s also a play you definitely need to actively watch, meaning it’s no Legally Blond or Little Mermaid where you can sort of let all the frothiness wash over you and you’ll still get the gist of it.

For a play where “nothing happens”, there sure is a lot of talking. I honestly left wondering how Lane and Irwin managed to memorize the whole damn thing. Lane still pushes his usual shtick, but in measured doses. He’s either chosen to repress his “sarcastic New York Jew” gene (yes, I know that will offend some of you, but come on, you knew exactly what I meant when you read it) or the director’s holding some nasty lewd-Lane internet pics (eww) over his head. It gives me hope that Lane’s more than a one-trick pony - granted it’s a very entertaining pony. Naturally, Irwin’s physicality was extraordinary but I sometimes found his line readings odd, leaving some strange pauses in the middle of lines - nothing too bothersome - maybe a character choice? I realized Goodman was a large man, but my, he’s huge! But his imposing physical stature lent itself to the blustery, self-importance of his character. John Glover is, well, scary as hell and looks like an extra from the Night of the Living Dead. Though silent for most of his performance, his nuanced physical portrayal spoke volumes.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"