Wednesday, January 16, 2008

O - K - L - A - etc. etc. Part II

Wow - another evening in the Twilight Zone known as community theater. Day three of Oklahoma! auditions sputtered along without major mishap. Surprisingly, most auditioners were at least of average quality and the only real stinkers were a couple of small children who obviously were forced to audition by a sadistic parent. Shame on all you Mama Roses. Once again, the award for most obnoxious auditioner goes to an older woman who refused to give me a 16-bar cut.
    Me: What’s your cut?
    Her: (Walking up to me reeking of cigarette smoke) Just start at the beginning.

    Me: They want 16-bars.
    Her: I’ll go until they stop me.

    Me: No. I need your cut.
    Her: I don’t know.

    Me: Ok, sing to here. (pointing to a spot way more than 16 bars)
    Her: Fine. (walking away obviously annoyed and giving attitude)
Hello people - what’s not to understand about “Please have a 16-bar cut prepared”? She obviously didn’t get a call back and not because she gave attitude, but because she gave attitude AND auditioned poorly.

Note to divas: if you are going to be a bitch at auditions, you better back that shit up with amazing talent or looks (or preferably both).

Saturday we start our first round of callbacks. I’m sure there will be much more to talk about then. Meanwhile, next week we begin auditions for our Young Artists production of Pirates and the following week we begin auditions for the newly formed Pineda Summer Theater Conservatory production of Les Miserables. Then I start rehearsals for Madama Butterfly. I can’t wait until May when I get a month off and just have to work my day job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Fausto, remember, you don't really have May off since you agreed to choreograph Pirates! :)

Fausto said...

Damn it, I guess it's August then.

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"