Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bway By the Year 1954

I guess almost anything would pale in comparison to Audra with a full orchestra. Although the cast was pretty spectacular (Cheyenne Jackson, Emily Skinner, Sierra Boggess, Paul Shoeffler, Debbie Gravitte), the horrible amplification ruined what could have been some impressive performances. I guess I just wasn’t blown away by anyone. No one was bad, but no one was particularly outstanding either. The best moments were the dance numbers. Josh Rhodes (assistant choreographer for Drowsy Chaperone) needs to be given his own friggin’ show. His numbers (“Hernando’s Hideaway” and “Won’t You Charleston with Me?”) make Stroman’s recent Broadway work look like a fourth grade dance recital. Props too for Noah Racey’s newly choreographed “Steam Heat” and Kendrick Jones’ crazy tap in “Slide, Boy, Slide.” Maybe we’ll start seeing some interesting, new choreography on Broadway and not the same tired old gimmicks from the “regulars.” And to continue my bitchy queen rant, what was up with Harvey Evans and those two Broadway vets doing “Never Grow Up”? What a train wreck. I know I’m being harsh, considering that all three are in their seventies and were gamely singing and dancing, but yikes. And yes, they were cute and I guess you can forgive them for not being as well prepared (God knows if my brain will even be functioning when I’m 70), but it was a tad uncomfortable to see them continually going up on lyrics and not quite knowing their blocking. It was like clapping for a four year old during potty training. The result stinks, but you applaud the effort. I know, you shouldn't make fun of old people. Don't worry, karma has already paid me back by delivering me a nice thick muffin top around my middle. Oh, to have that 32 year old body (page down on link) back again!

As for the rest, Sierra obviously has some awesome legit chops, but she seemed to be “dumbing down” her singing so she wouldn’t seem too operatic. Her belt is also impressive, but she needs to smooth out that belt/head voice transition. Emily was solid if not spectacular. I do love her voice, but for me, she still hasn’t topped her rendition of “Sleepy Man” from the duets concert last year. And would someone please take her clothes shopping?! She needs to return that over-sized blouse and tight pants/leggings look to the 80's mall she stole them from. Maybe Alice can submit her to “What Not to Wear.” Natalie Belcon didn’t quite do it for me. I think it was the mic-ing, though. Her voice seemed powerful and sassy, but I didn’t hear her pronounce any consonants. It was one big, loud, mush. And she needs to return that outfit (and hair/extensions) to Patti LaBelle’s closet. And I mean her closet from the 80’s. What's up with the 80's retro anyway? Cheyenne was his dreamy self. Although he had a considerable nasal quality to his voice that I hadn’t noticed before. But if you look like that, who cares?

I guess reading this you’d think I hated the evening, but again, I think I was just a bit let down after Audra’s concert. I’m actually interested in seeing the next two BBTY concerts and really like the idea of hearing performers sing unamplified. You have to pay a little more attention.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"