Thursday, December 13, 2007

Where are the Mer-men? And I Don't Mean Ethel...

After re-reading my Little Mermaid review, I realized that I may have been a bit negative about certain aspects of the show. In fairness, I guess I should be providing some suggestions to balance my criticisms. Since the show is in previews for the next couple of weeks, the Mermaid creative team will have plenty of time to implement my simple, yet inspired suggestions. Ms. Zambello and Mr. Schumacher, if you’re listening, and I’m sure you are, please note the following changes that will vastly improve your little show. In no particular order:
  • Use Ursala's big shell piece to hold Triton captive, not those wimpy eels. Then when Ariel breaks the magic shell, have those tentacle things turn on Ursula, holding her captive and powerless. Then you’re also set up for the inevitable pointless sequel (High School Musical II - anyone?) where Ursala escapes and you rehash the exact same script with different songs.
  • Someone needs to tell those eels to tone it down a notch. I’m no prude, but watching them interact made me feel dirty in a bad way. Are they supposed to be gay eels? Can eels even be gay?
  • Why are there no mer-men besides Triton? There are references to them, but you never see one. Also, why is Triton’s tail all limp and dragging on the floor while the mermaids tails are all bouncy and upright?
  • Axe the frog hand puppets in “Kiss the Girl.” They look like Sesame Street rejects.
  • That whole "mermaids and humans together for one night" ending is just plain stupid. Have the wedding on the boat with the mermaids skating - er, swimming around it. Then utilize my vastly superior closing scene as follows:
Full Chorus: (sung) Now they can walk, now they can run, now they can play all day in the suuuuuuuuuuuuun!
(subito piano in orchestra) 
Ariel: (underscored) Will I ever see you again, dad?  
Triton: When you need me, sing and I'll answer you in the roar of the crashing waves. 
Ariel: I love you. 
Triton: (to Eric) Take care of my daughter. (Triton raises ugly pitchfork thingy, boat begins to floats up, Triton and Ariel extend arms to each other for final farewell gesture) 
Full Chorus: Out of the Seeeeaaaaa! 
Ariel, Triton, Eric: (continuing phrase) I'll finally beeeeee! Part of your woooorld! (Chorus underneath: ah, ah, ah)
And curtain.

Not a dry eye in the house.

Francesca, Thomas - if you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email. Love you, mean it!

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"